Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Projects Galore.

My original intent for this blog was not just for baby updates, so I apologize for being delinquent with other fun posts.  I'd love to write about house projects that we've been conquering, but nothing is really 100% finished, meaning project complete, furniture in place, art hung, room accessorized, etc.  So, I feel like I can't post about completed projects yet, because it feels like nothing is absolutely finished!

This is what I mean:

Vent cover has been waiting to be painted for over a month now...



We replaced all the electrical outlets and switch plates, but this one doesn't work for some reason, so Brad has to fix it again...


We replaced the light fixture in the living room, but its way too small for the size of the room.  We need to find a bigger drum shade, but for now we still have this teeny tiny fixture.  You can also see the tip of our Christmas tree, and might notice that it isn't topped with a star.  That's because it isn't decorated...


This is the front foyer that leads into the living room (you can see the blue paint on the right).  We still need to rip down the wallpaper, spackle spots that are damaged and paint...


New hardwoods over top old hardwoods from the downstairs hallway leading into the office...


This is the downstairs half bath.  Notice the light switch that is yet to be covered by a switch plate and the semi-unfinished door.  You'll notice that the trim in here is white, which is what color the door was too.  Brad wants the trim in the bathroom to match the rest of the house, so we're replacing the trim around the door and window but had to strip what seems like 32 layers of paint off of this door.  The is some pretty intricate moulding around the inside of the door, so that's why there is still white paint in the crevices...


Our new appliances are here, but are a little bigger than the old appliances, so the dishwasher doesn't exactly fit under the counter...


...and the refrigerator is in the dining room because its too tall and won't fit under the cabinets in the kitchen where the old fridge is...



 The microwave is also in the dining room, waiting to be hung above the stove that hasn't arrived yet...


And this is where a lot of my vases, candlesticks, jars, place mats, table runners, pitchers and other random decor is being stored thrown because the rest of the house is a disaster and I have no where to put this stuff yet.  We bought some wooden boards probably 2 months ago, so that I could have some shelving in this cabinet, but as you guessed, those have yet to be cut and put in place...


This old farmhouse mirrored door is also being housed in the dining room until we figure out a way to hang its 40 lb. self above our couch.  The trouble is that we have plaster walls and they crackle very easily if you try to puncture them with nails and such...


So, there you have it.  A look into our chaotic, messy, project filled house.  I think its safe to say that we have a LOT to do before baby arrives.

xoxo,
meghan

2 comments:

  1. I just wrote a huge comment in reply to this post (which I LOVE) but for some reason when I went to submit, my wordpress identity was not accepted. Total bummer. In summary: You're way ahead of the game here, documenting verbally and visually the projects you'd like to complete before baby arrives - and you've inspired me to do the same (I'm a little late out of the gate on that one). You'd think I'd be finished after living here for almost six months but no. We're still sleeping on mattresses on the floor.

    Also, I wish you lived closer because I would LOVE to come over and help you "paint & project" :) I like to think of myself as an experienced DIYer ... though that's not most accurate :)

    Thanks for the post! Thanks for the pics! Hope you're feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole time I was reading your comment I was thinking, "Melissa? Melissa who?" And then it hit me, "Ooooh, Missy!!" Haha! Anyway - thanks for the encouragement! It can be so overwhelming when you're knee deep in home remodeling. How is your house coming along...aside from being bed-less?!

    I wish we lived closer too! I would love to paint and DIY and craft with you too. Hopefully one day :)

    ReplyDelete