Tuesday, November 9, 2010

We're Having a Baby!!!

I'm not the kind of person that keeps very close track of my menstrual cycle.  I just know that it comes every month with little to no cramping, lasts about five days and is done.  In fact, if I wasn't bleeding, I would have no idea it was happening.  But...for some reason last month, I decided to jot down the first day of my period.

Fast forward, oh, about 13 days to a little spontaneity one night in the bedroom (TMI?  Sorry!).  Afterward, I whip out iCal on my iPhone so I can see when the first day of my last period was, and thus calculate when "ovulation" days are.  Sure enough...we were smack dab in the middle of ovulation time.  Brad's worry and my curiosity begins.

The next day at work I did a little searching online to see when the earliest is that you can detect pregnancy.  It said something like two weeks after conception, so I calculated when that would be and started the waiting game.


Today (11/9/10) marks two weeks after theoretical conception, so on my way home from work last night I couldn't avoid Rite Aid.  I went in, surveyed the pregnancy tests (5 days sooner, 6 days sooner, digital, pink lines, different detection levels of hCG, etc).  I finally decided on an e.p.t. tests that claimed it could detect pregnancy five days before your missed period.  Cool, since yesterday marked that day.


I pulled in the driveway and thought "Good.  Brad isn't home yet.  I can do this w/o worrying him.  If its negative he doesn't have to know I took the test and if its positive, well, I'll figure that out when the time comes."  So, I ran up to the bathroom, peeled my pee stick out of the foil wrapper, quickly read the directions and commenced the process.  This particular test only made me wait 3 minutes, so I set the test on the counter in the bathroom, ran downstairs to get my phone, and headed back upstairs. 


During those three short minutes I was thinking of what I might see on that little screen: Pregnant or Not Pregnant.  "There's no way its going to say pregnant.  I'm not getting my hopes up, but maybe it will.  Oh my gosh!  Am I old enough to be having babies?  Oh my gosh!  What am I even doing?  Oh well...here goes!"  I reach the bathroom, peer over the test to see that the screen is displaying PREGNANT!

My heart starts beating fast while a huge smiles covers my face.  I couldn't help but giggle.  I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled...and giggled...and maybe even squealed once or twice.  Then thought of the fact that Brad was going to be home any minute now.  How was I going to tell him?  Should I write it in a card?  Shoot!  No time for that.  Should I wait to tell him over a nice dinner together?  No way, Jose!  I couldn't hold it in for another 5 minutes let alone another day or two or three.

His car pulls in the driveway and I run downstairs to greet him at the door (this is a usual routine, so my greeting him was not out of the ordinary).  I give him a hug and a kiss, he walks in the house, puts his stuff down in the dining room and asks me how my day was.  I couldn't look at him and had to bite my lip in two places to keep the grin off my face - otherwise he'd know something was up.  He must have seen some sort of expression on my face because he came over to me, gave me a hug and asked what was going on.  I couldn't formulate anything clever to say so I just said, "I have a surprise upstairs for you."

"A surprise?  What kind of surprise?  I'm a little nervous.  What is it, Mags?"

We both started upstairs where the pregnancy test still remained on the bathroom counter.  He walks past the bathroom, but glances in as he walks past, stops dead in his tracks and says, "SHUT UP!"  Looks at me...looks back at the test and another "SHUT UP!" comes out of his mouth.  I think there were a few more of those along with "Are you serious?!  Oh my gosh!"  and then a "Congratulations, Magin!" followed by lots of hugs!

After some minor freaking out on his part for the last 24 hours he's finally calming down and warming up to the idea.  After all, we weren't planning to start a family for another year or two, at least!  I guess the planning wasn't up to us : )



We're more than thrilled to be having a baby but I don't think it has quite sunk in yet!  According to online pregnancy calculators, I'm a mere 4 weeks along!  I have my first doctor appointment on November 30, which will confirm the pregnancy and we might even get to hear the heartbeat.   Oh my gosh!!  I'm sure that will make it feel very real!

I've been feeling really tired today and wonder if its just because of the decrease in daylight hours or because I have a little cell clump starting to grow inside me!  Last night and today I had some weird burp-y thing going on but other than that, I still feel pretty normal.  Its still so early so let the fun begin!!

Many more updates to come...

eeee!

xoxo,
meghan

5 comments:

  1. I wish you would have taken a picture of my face when I saw the pregnant picture at max and ermas!!!! Would have been a Weaver classic, I'm sure!!!!

    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for the both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have too! Dangit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it!!! I love your heart and how you express so freely and simply! You can be sure i'll be following closely to hear about your delightful life!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! I love it that you photographed the pregnancy test. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My immediate reason to photograph the test was to have proof to show Brad, in case it magically changed, or something! But, now I'm glad I have a picture of it...kind of weird, but kind of cool!!

    ReplyDelete