Friday, February 4, 2011

Menu Planning & Grocery Shopping

Through the past couple years, I have learned that I am a project person.  Projects typically have a beginning and an end; a start and a finish; a goal and an end result.  I don't know what to call the opposite of a "project person" but it would basically involve doing the same thing over and over and over, every day or every week with no end in sight.  I struggle with tasks that have no end in sight, which is probably why Brad runs out of undershirts and underwear so often...I hate doing laundry.  Its a never-ending task (not to mention that our basement is creepy)!  Another never-ending task that I'm learning I struggle with is grocery shopping/cooking dinner.  {At this point, you're probably thinking, "Oh geez, I bet Meghan makes a really lousy wife (and soon to me mother) if she hates doing basic household duties."} 


Problem: I don't like to come home from work and have to think of something to make. 
Solution: Menu Planning.

Despite the fact that I don't love to cook, I don't mind cooking if I know what I'm going to cook ahead of time and know that I have all the necessary ingredients on hand.  This is where menu planning comes in and helps me so much!  If I plan out what we're going to have each day of the week, and I grocery shop according to that menu, I don't mind coming home to cook.  When I menu plan, we eat well balanced dinners.  When I don't menu plan, well, we eat whatever we can find :)  I know this isn't a profound idea - wives and mothers everywhere have probably been doing this for years - I'm just catching on!

So, I've been trying to menu plan and grocery shop in a smarter way.  Sounds good, right?  Well, my next problem is that because I make my grocery list by going down my menu plan, my grocery list is very disorganized and I end up zig-zagging around the grocery store like a lunatic because I have garlic listed next to pasta or lettuce listed next to paper towels, when really produce should be grouped with produce, meat with meat, etc etc.  Brilliant, huh?

case in point.  ha.

With all of that being said, today I decided that there's going to be an end to my disorganized grocery lists and I came up with this!

menu plan + organized grocery list = happiness.
 
I'm going to use it this weekend and I'll be sure to report back with pros and cons!  Let me know if you'd like a copy!

Happy menu planning, everyone!!  Just call me June Cleaver :)

xoxo,
meghan

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant. But where is the beer and wine section? Please add and make sure it has plenty of real estate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! There's a section for "drinks" - whatever that may be!! : ) But, we have to buy beer in 30 packs here, so we're pretty set for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah Meghan! I actually do the very same thing~ I have a cute little notepad that I write my menu on, then I use another paper to organize everything :) I'm glad you caught on! The design you created is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, love the list template, will you send to me?

    ReplyDelete